- Hours, Calendar & Events
- Our Team
Quick Facts About UP Academy Boston:
• Grades served: 6-8
• Enrollment: 525
• Restart Date: August 2011
• Formerly: Patrick F. Gavin Middle School
• Mantra: “Heart + Fire”
• Core Values: ASPIRE (Achievement, Scholarship, Integrity, Respect, Enthusiasm)
Our Guiding Principles:
• Extended (185-day) school year
• Extended (8-hour) school day
• Safe, orderly learning environment
• Focused, energetic, and joyful classrooms
• Rigorous homework every night
• Academic supports for struggling students (e.g., during school, after school, and Saturdays)
• Year-round, after-school extracurricular programs (e.g., basketball, cheerleading, soccer, honors chorus, honors dance)
• Weekly enrichment courses in the areas of art, academics, and sports
• School uniforms (JB Edward Uniforms)
• Frequent parent communication
• Monday – Thursday: 7:35am – 4:00pm
• Friday: 7:35am – 12:00pm
For information on holidays and events, please download the 2015-16 calendar.
Family Orientation Meetings
Date: August 12 & 13
Location: UP Academy Boston (215 Dorchester St., South Boston)
First Day of School for All Students
Date: August 19
UP Academy Boston is a tuition-free, public school open to all Boston scholars who are incoming 6-8th graders. In our first academic year, students formerly enrolled in the Patrick F. Gavin Middle School were guaranteed admission into UP Academy Boston. Today, UP Academy Boston enrolls students through a random, city-wide lottery as required by Massachusetts law. An application is needed to enter the UP Academy Boston lottery, but no test scores, grades, recommendations, or history will be taken into consideration.
To enroll your child for the 2015-16 academic year, please download and submit the application below via mail, in-person, email, or fax. See application for details.
The deadline to enter the enrollment lottery for the 2015-16 school year is 4pm on Friday, September 25, 2015.
- Leadership TeamTeachers and Staff
Board of TrusteesTchintcia BarrosEquity Portfolio Manager, Columbia ManagementBeth Clymer (Vice Chair)Vice President, Bain CapitalStacy CowanOf Counsel, Morgan, Brown & Joy, LLPTamekia GroceParent Representative, UP Academy DorchesterDaniel R. ManningChief of Staff, Civic Engagement Cabinet, Office of Mayor Martin J. WalshRobert McConnaughey (Chair)Head of Equities, Columbia ManagementCecilia Santana-LindParent Representative, UP Academy BostonJesse SolomonDirector, Boston Teacher ResidencyBarbara SullivanPortfolio Manager for Education, Strategic Grant PartnersMariama White-HammondCommunity Activist and Dorchester Resident