- Hours, Calendar & Events
- Our Team
UP Academy Charter
School of Boston
Here are some fast facts about our school:
• Grades served: 6-8
• Enrollment: 480
• Restart Date: August 2011
• Formerly: Patrick F. Gavin Middle School
• Mantra: “Heart + Fire”
• Core Values: ASPIRE (Achievement, Scholarship, Integrity, Respect, Enthusiasm)
Our Guiding Principles:
While each UP Academy is unique, all of our schools are founded on and connected by a set of guiding principles. Here are a few key aspects of the UP Academy model:
• Extended (185-day) school year
• Extended (8-hour) school day
• Safe, orderly learning environment
• Focused, energetic, and joyful classrooms
• Rigorous homework every night
• Academic supports for struggling students (e.g., during school, after school, and Saturdays)
• Year-round, after-school extracurricular programs (e.g., basketball, cheerleading, soccer, honors chorus, honors dance)
• Weekly enrichment courses in the areas of art, academics, and sports
• School uniforms
• Frequent parent communication
UP Academy Charter
School of Boston
• Monday – Thursday: 7:15am – 3:15pm
• Friday: 7:15am – 1:30pm
For information on holidays and events, please download the 2014-15 calendar.
School Tours: Every Monday-Thursday, 8:00am, noon, 4:00pm
For those unable to attend our New Students Night, feel free to stop by the school Monday through Thursday at 8:00 am, noon, or 4:00 pm for a school tour.
Early Dismissal and Report Card Night: Friday, May 1
Scholars will be dismissed at 11:30am. Families are invited and strongly encouraged to visit UP Academy Boston between 2:00pm and 6:00pm to pick up report cards and to speak with teachers and staff; interpreters will be present starting at 3:15pm through 6:00pm. If parents are unable to attend, report cards will be sent home the following week.
For Your Interest In
Our School Community
We believe that families are one of the strongest assets of our school communities, and we look forward to engaging with you in conversations.
UP Academy Boston is a tuition-free, public school open to all Boston scholars who are incoming 6-8th graders. In our first academic year, students formerly enrolled in the Patrick F. Gavin Middle School were guaranteed admission into UP Academy Boston. Today, UP Academy Boston enrolls students through a random, city-wide lottery as required by Massachusetts law. An application is needed to enter the UP Academy Boston lottery, but no test scores, grades, recommendations, or history will be taken into consideration.
2015-16 Academic Year
Deadline: Friday, April 17, 2015 at 4:00pm (enrollment lottery will be on Wednesday, April 29, 2015)
• To enroll your child for the 2015-16 academic year, please download and submit the application below.
• Applications can be submitted via mail, in-person, email, or fax. See application for details.
In order to achieve amazing results you need amazing people. We’re honored to have a team of 62 of the best educators in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts here at UP Academy Boston.Leadership TeamTeachers and StaffBoard of TrusteesTchintcia BarrosEquity Portfolio Manager, Columbia ManagementAmbar Bhattacharyya (Treasurer)Vice President, Bessemer Venture PartnersBeth Clymer (Vice Chair)Vice President, Bain CapitalRep. Nicholas CollinsMA State RepresentativeStacy CowanOf Counsel, Morgan, Brown & Joy, LLPTamekia GroceParent Representative, UP Academy DorchesterDaniel R. ManningChief of Staff, Civic Engagement Cabinet, Office of Mayor Martin J. WalshRobert McConnaughey (Chair)Head of Equities, Columbia ManagementCecilia Santana-LindParent Representative, UP Academy BostonJesse SolomonDirector, Boston Teacher ResidencyBarbara SullivanPortfolio Manager for Education, Strategic Grant PartnersMariama White-HammondCommunity Activist and Dorchester Resident